ANIMAL FEEDS AND FEEDING – LIVESTOCK RATIONS
- Definition of Ration
- Meaning of Diet
- Balanced Ration
- Types of Ration – Maintenance Ration and Production Ration
- Characteristics of Good Ration
Definition of Ration
Ration is the total amount of feed which is provided to an animal over a 24 hour period. It is the amount of feed taken an animal per day.
Meaning of Diet
This is the quantity of feed consumed by an animal at a meal or period.
Meaning of Balanced Ration
A balanced ration can be defined as feed containing all essential nutrients in the right quantity and adequate proportions for feeding animals.
Reasons for Providing Balanced Ration
Balanced ration is provided for the following reasons:
- Maintenance of body tissues
- Supply of energy
- Development of unborn fœtus
- To build up body reserves
- Provision of essential nutrients for growth
- Egg production.
Types of Ration
Ration can be classified into:
- Maintenance ration
- Production ration
- The complete lesson note and evaluation questions for this topic
- The complete lessons for the subject and class (First Term, Second Term & Third Term)
- Media-rich, interactive and gamified content
- End-of-lesson objective questions with detailed explanations to force mastery of content
- Simulated termly preparatory exams
- Discussion boards on all lessons and subjects
- Guaranteed learning
- Win great prizes for topping the Hall of Fame