BASIC CONCEPTS IN GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEM (GIS)
- Geographic Information System (GIS)
- Geographic Data
- Importance of Geo-Referencing, GIS and Geographic Data
Geographic Information System (GIS)
Meaning of GIS
Geographic information system (GIS) is a system designed to capture, store, manipulate, analyse, manage and present all types of geographic referenced data.
In other words, it is a computer system that record, stores and analyse information about the feature that make up the earth surface.
It is equally a system for acquiring, sorting, processing, storing, querying, analysing and displaying spatial data.
In addition, it is an organised collection of computer software, hardware, geographic data and personnel designed to effectively capture, store, update, manipulate, analyse and display all forms of geographically referenced information.
- Explain Geographic Information System (GIS).
Data refer to information or facts collected for analysis. Geographic data is a collection of information that can describe objects and things with relation to space. Geographic data are collected directly during field work, existing map or digital image.
- The complete lesson note and evaluation questions for this topic
- The complete lessons for the subject and class (First Term, Second Term & Third Term)
- Media-rich, interactive and gamified content
- End-of-lesson objective questions with detailed explanations to force mastery of content
- Simulated termly preparatory exams
- Discussion boards on all lessons and subjects
- Guaranteed learning
- Win great prizes for topping the Hall of Fame