- Meaning of Circular Motion
- Definition of Terms Used in Circular Motion
- Calculations on Circular Motion
Meaning of Circular Motion
Circular motion is the motion of a body around a circle. The simplest form of circular motion is the uniform circular motion, where the speed is constant but the direction is changing.
Consider a body moving in a circular path center O with a constant speed.
1. The direction at different points are not the same i.e. the direction at A is different from the direction at B. This leads to a change in velocity.
2. This difference in velocity produces an acceleration directed towards the center of the circle. This acceleration is called centripetal acceleration.
3. Since there is an acceleration, there is a force directed towards the center of the circle called centripetal force.
4. In addition to the centripetal force, there is an equal but opposite force which acts outwards from the centerof the circle.
- NEW: Download the entire term's content in MS Word document format (1-year plan only)
- The complete lesson note and evaluation questions for this topic
- The complete lessons for the subject and class (First Term, Second Term & Third Term)
- Media-rich, interactive and gamified content
- End-of-lesson objective questions with detailed explanations to force mastery of content
- Simulated termly preparatory examination questions
- Discussion boards on all lessons and subjects
- Guaranteed learning