DEFINITION AND IMPORTANCE OF AGRICULTURE
- Definition of Agriculture
- Importance of Agriculture to the Individual
- Importance of Agriculture to the Society
- Importance of Agriculture to the Nation
- Types of Agriculture based on Levels of Production: Subsistence & Commercial Agriculture
Definition of Agriculture
Agriculture can be defined as the art and science which deals with the growing of crops and rearing of animals for man’s use.
Importance of Agriculture
Agriculture plays an important role in the development of all nations. It used to be the mainstay of Nigeria’s economy and that of other developing countries. The importance of agriculture can be grouped into three categories:
Importance of Agriculture to the Individual
- Provision of food: This is the most important contribution of agriculture to man because food is required for our survival. People need food in order to live. Farm animals also need food. The food could be meat, eggs, and milk from farm animals and products from many different crops such as yam, rice, maize etc.
- Provision of shelter materials: This help to protect man from adverse weather conditions and predators. Agriculture is a source of materials used in building houses. Materials such as timbers and leaves are used in building houses.
- Provision of materials for clothing: Agriculture provides fibre, silk and cotton from plants for textile production, hides and skins as well as wool from sheep for clothing, shoes, belts and bags.
- The complete lesson note and evaluation questions for this topic
- The complete lessons for the subject and class (First Term, Second Term & Third Term)
- Media-rich, interactive and gamified content
- End-of-lesson objective questions with detailed explanations to force mastery of content
- Simulated termly preparatory exams
- Discussion boards on all lessons and subjects
- Guaranteed learning
- Win great prizes for topping the Hall of Fame