The term English literature refers to the literature of the people who speak the English language as mother tongue. So, English literature refers to the literature of the British, Scots, Irish, Welsh and American peoples.
Literature-in-English refers to literary works written in English Language irrespective of the nationality of the author. The source of literature originated from people’s traditional festivals, folklores, folktales, rituals, chants, praise and work songs, traditional mores. The term orature is often applied to define these sources of literature. Orature as an aspect in literature is yet to be expressed in writing. More recently; subject matters of literary works in English are derived from the day-to-day social, economic, political and humanistic experiences of people. Both English literature and Literature in English are studied in the three genres, namely prose, drama and poetry.
DEFINITIONS OF LITERATURE
Printed materials which educate, inform or instruct are all referred to as literature. But as a field of study, it could be defined as an artistic expression of thoughts, emotions, experiences and imaginations through the effective use of style rhetoric and figures. Literature is written not for the sake of writing only, but for an audience and it is created in order to elicit specific reaction from the reader.
- The complete lesson note and evaluation questions for this topic
- The complete lessons for the subject and class (First Term, Second Term & Third Term)
- Media-rich, interactive and gamified content
- End-of-lesson objective questions with detailed explanations to force mastery of content
- Simulated termly preparatory exams
- Discussion boards on all lessons and subjects
- Guaranteed learning
- Win great prizes for topping the Hall of Fame