OBJECTIVES: At the end of the lesson, students should be able to:
- give the meaning of the following terms: map, map scale and map reading.
- mention at least three types of maps.
- name and explain the three types of map scales.
- Explainhow linear scale, representative fraction and statement scale are used.
MAP WORK : BASIC CONCEPTS IN MAP READING
A map is a representation of the earth’s surface as it is seen from above on paper (showing countries, towns, roads, rivers, etc.). It can also be defined as a drawing made on paper, of the earth’s surface or part of it, showing countries, towns, roads, rivers, etc.
Types of maps
There are so many types of maps, which includes:-
- Topographical maps (are specifically used in map reading)
- Atlas maps
- Plan maps
- Sketch maps
This is the ability to recognize conventional signs and symbols on a map and to interpret what those signs and symbols mean or represent.
- The complete lesson note and evaluation questions for this topic
- The complete lessons for the subject and class (First Term, Second Term & Third Term)
- Media-rich, interactive and gamified content
- End-of-lesson objective questions with detailed explanations to force mastery of content
- Simulated termly preparatory exams
- Discussion boards on all lessons and subjects
- Guaranteed learning
- Win great prizes for topping the Hall of Fame