OBJECTIVES: At the end of the lesson, students should be able to:
- describe small scale map and large scale map.
- describe and explain the procedures for measuring a straight distance and a curved distance.
- convert from one map scale to another.
- convert from map distance to actual ground distance.
- convert from actual ground distance to map distance.
TOPIC: MAP WORK- MAP DISTANCE.
Conversion of one scale to another.
In map work, one scale can be converted to another.
To convert from statement scale to R.F.
- Write out the statement scale clearly.
- Write the two parts of the scale in the same unit, usually in the lowest unit of the measurement.
- Write the scale as fraction with distance on the map as numerator and the ground distance as the denominator.
- Divide out the fraction till the numerator is just one (1).
Examples: Convert the following statement scale to R.F.
- 1 cm to 1km
- 2 cm to 1 km
- The complete lesson note and evaluation questions for this topic
- The complete lessons for the subject and class (First Term, Second Term & Third Term)
- Media-rich, interactive and gamified content
- End-of-lesson objective questions with detailed explanations to force mastery of content
- Simulated termly preparatory exams
- Discussion boards on all lessons and subjects
- Guaranteed learning
- Win great prizes for topping the Hall of Fame