MEANING, TYPES AND CHARACTERISTICS OF FARM ANIMALSCONTENT
- Meaning of Farm Animals
- Types of Farm Animals
- Characteristics of Farm Animals
Meaning of Farm AnimalsFarm animals are animals that are reared by man for different purposes such as food supply, income generation, clothing materials, etc. Examples include goats, sheep, rabbits, poultry, cattle, pigs, fish, snails, etc.
Types of Farm AnimalsThe following are the forms of farm animals:
- Work animals
- Dairy animals
- Guard animals
- Aquatic animals
1. Work Animals:These are animals that are used for work on the farm. They are used for carrying loads, ploughing, harrowing and ridging e.g cattle, [Sokoto Gudali, White Fulani], (in forms of bull and bullock). Such animals are called draught animals. The normal output of a working bull is about 500W compared to that of a man which about 75W. Work animals are also used for transportation and carrying of load e.g. horses, camels and donkeys. Such animals are referred to as beasts of burden. They have the ability to survive or travel long distance without water.
Characteristics of Work AnimalsThe following are the characteristics of work animals:
- They are well built with good body conformation.
- They can survive or travel long distance without water.
- They are rugged and have very great strength.
- They have strong hind limbs.
- They are docile and tolerant.
- The complete lesson note and evaluation questions for this topic
- The complete lessons for the subject and class (First Term, Second Term & Third Term)
- Media-rich, interactive and gamified content
- End-of-lesson objective questions with detailed explanations to force mastery of content
- Simulated termly preparatory exams
- Discussion boards on all lessons and subjects
- Guaranteed learning
- Win great prizes for topping the Hall of Fame