- Types of Metalwork Machines.
- Functions of the Different Types of Machines.
Definition of Machine Tools
A machine tool is a machine that cut metals and perform some other operations by manipulation of its parts. The five basic machine tools are:
- Shaper and planer
- Milling machine
- Grinding machine
- Drill press
THE MILLING MACHINE
It is of two kinds; the vertical and horizontal milling machine. It can be used to perform what is called up-cut or down-cut. Using either method, the machine is used to:
- Cut gear
- Cut grooves
- Cut splints.
Drill press is used for boring or drilling holes in thick metals whose diameter is beyond 25mm. The drill press has its essential features:
- An electric motor which drives the drill.
- A variable vee-belt that can be changed to select different speed.
- A hand lever controlling the up and down movement of drill.
- NEW: Download the entire term's content in MS Word document format (1-year plan only)
- The complete lesson note and evaluation questions for this topic
- The complete lessons for the subject and class (First Term, Second Term & Third Term)
- Media-rich, interactive and gamified content
- End-of-lesson objective questions with detailed explanations to force mastery of content
- Simulated termly preparatory examination questions
- Discussion boards on all lessons and subjects
- Guaranteed learning