METHODS OF ANIMAL IMPROVEMENT
Methods of Animal Improvement
The following are the methods of animal improvement:
This is bringing animals which are not native of a place but are known to have certain desirable characters into a new place from the place of origin. Such animals are called exotic. Introduction can be by physical importation either of the animals themselves or their semen.
Advantages of Introduction
- It enhances greater productivity.
- It leads to absence of pests and diseases.
- Breeds may perform better and able to adapt to local conditions.
Disadvantages of Introduction
- It may introduce new diseases and pests to the area.
- There may be problem of adaptation.
- The animals may not perform as expected.
- Animals may be susceptible to local diseases and pests.
This is the method whereby a preferred animal is chosen from the population for breeding based on physical features such as growth rate, color, size, resistant to disease and pest, fertility rate, milk quantity and quality, etc.
- The complete lesson note and evaluation questions for this topic
- The complete lessons for the subject and class (First Term, Second Term & Third Term)
- Media-rich, interactive and gamified content
- End-of-lesson objective questions with detailed explanations to force mastery of content
- Simulated termly preparatory exams
- Discussion boards on all lessons and subjects
- Guaranteed learning
- Win great prizes for topping the Hall of Fame