- Meaning of Transportation
- Modes of Transportation
- Means Associated with Transportation Modes
- Merits and Demerits of Each Type of Transportation Mode/Means
- Importance of Transportation
- Transportation Problems
Meaning of Transportation
Transportation can be defined as the movement of people, good and services from one geographical area to another either by land, water and air.
In the olden days, goods were transported using animals. However, the modern day transportation can be classified into 3, namely (i) Land transportation (ii) water transportation (iii) air transportation
Modes of Transportation
1. Land Transportation
Land transportation takes place on land. They include road transportation, rail transportation and specialized pipeline which is used to transport liquid materials.
(a) Road Transportation
Road transportation involves the use of vehicles like cars, motor cycles, bicycles, and in very backward economies, animal like donkeys, cows, camel etc.
(b) Rail Transportation
The railway transportation consists of the use of locomotives and coaches that move on the gauges. There are 3 types of gauges namely; narrow, standard and broad gauge.
- The complete lesson note and evaluation questions for this topic
- The complete lessons for the subject and class (First Term, Second Term & Third Term)
- Media-rich, interactive and gamified content
- End-of-lesson objective questions with detailed explanations to force mastery of content
- Simulated termly preparatory exams
- Discussion boards on all lessons and subjects
- Guaranteed learning
- Win great prizes for topping the Hall of Fame