- Earth’s Movements
- Meaning and Effects of Rotation of the Earth
- Meaning and Effects of Revolution of the Earth
- Differences between Rotation and Revolution of the Earth
The earth moves in space in two different ways. They are (a) Rotation (b) Revolution.
Meaning and Effects of Rotation of the Earth
Meaning of Rotation of the Earth
The earth rotates on its axis from west to east in every 24 hours through 3600. This is why it is said that there are twenty four hours (24) in a day. It rotates through 150 in 1 hour or 10 in 4 minutes. The rotating earth is inclined at an angle of 23½0 along its axis.
Effects of Rotation of the Earth
1. Day and Night
As the earth rotates from west to east only one part of the earth facing the sun experiences daylight while other part of the earth backing the sun’s ray will experience darkness (night).
- The complete lesson note and evaluation questions for this topic
- The complete lessons for the subject and class (First Term, Second Term & Third Term)
- Media-rich, interactive and gamified content
- End-of-lesson objective questions with detailed explanations to force mastery of content
- Simulated termly preparatory exams
- Discussion boards on all lessons and subjects
- Guaranteed learning
- Win great prizes for topping the Hall of Fame