MEANING AND FEATURES OF DEMOCRACY
- Meaning of Democracy
- Features of Democracy
Meaning of Democracy
Democracy can be defined as a system of government in which the supreme power is vested in the hands of the people and it is exercised directly or indirectly.
Democracy can also be defined as government in the hand of the majority.
In 1863, Abraham Lincoln who was the American president defined democracy as “the government of the people by the people and for the people”.
Democracy started in Greece where qualified adult gathered together to discuss issues affecting their communities. Later, democracy was developed or built upon by the Americans.
Features of Democracy
- There must be supremacy of the constitution to guide peoples’ conducts and government actions
- There must be periodic elections through which citizens elect their leaders
- There must be adoption of universal suffrage All qualified adults have right to vote and be voted for
- There should be free and fair elections
- There should be freedom of the press
- There is separation of powers, i.e.
- The complete lesson note and evaluation questions for this topic
- The complete lessons for the subject and class (First Term, Second Term & Third Term)
- Media-rich, interactive and gamified content
- End-of-lesson objective questions with detailed explanations to force mastery of content
- Simulated termly preparatory exams
- Discussion boards on all lessons and subjects
- Guaranteed learning
- Win great prizes for topping the Hall of Fame